Grain Elevator Operator Seasonal Full-time and Part-time
This position is responsible for assisting in the implementation of work schedules, safety programs, logistics and record keeping in conjunction with the facility manager. Performs all aspects of grain handling and facility operations.
**Seasonal Position Only**
- Weigh and grade both inbound and outbound grain and grain products proficiently in an effort to ensure all products meet SFD specifications. Prepares scale receipts and enters deliveries into database.
- Operate loading/unloading equipment to ship or receive grain products.
- Inspect grain facilities daily to ensure equipment maintains proper condition of stored grains.
- Help facility manager schedule logistics as they pertain to inbound and outbound grain.
- Maintain and handle inventories to maximize SFD profitability including grain movements, condition, blending of grain/grain products.
- Identify any problems or improvements and work with facility manager to find solutions.
- Deal proficiently with customers on a daily basis.
- Assist in implementing any specific work or safety programs set forth by SFD.
- Responsible for being in compliance with all environmental laws and procedures to which Smithfield Foods and Smithfield Hog Production subscribes.
- Report all environmental issues immediately to supervisor.
- Read and understand the company’s emergency notification process and will be responsible for reviewing that policy at their work site.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to understand and comply with all safety policies and practices
- Verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills.
- Effective communication with grain customers.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Available to work extended weekday and weekend hours during grain harvest seasons.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Regularly work at elevated heights.
- Routinely exposed to moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions.
- Must be able to tolerate cold, heat, grain dust, grain/mill odors, and noisy conditions.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.