Hog Production Summer Help - High School
Hog Production Summer Help role is a great opportunity to get hands-on experience while pursuing your high school diploma. You will be an active part of the team on our company farms and learn from the best!
- Feeds, waters and performs general animal husbandry tasks including basic veterinary procedures.
- Maintains flexibility with a willingness to change plans according to the direction of farm leadership.
- Assists in moving animals and maintaining efficient animal flows.
- Maintains accurate production information and update all department records as required.
- Follows the Standard Operation Procedures, Production Manuals, or Appropriate Training Guides as required.
- Assists with facility and equipment maintenance.
- Assists with maintaining barn, office cleanliness, and laundry duties.
- Follows the Company’s animal welfare policies and procedures including: providing a physical environment that meets the animal’s needs, providing access to adequate water and high quality feed, providing humane treatment of the animals, providing identification and appropriate treatment of animals in need of health care.
- Responsible for complying with all environmental, safety and biosecurity laws and procedures.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Currently enrolled in High School or GED program.
- Previous livestock handing helpful.
- Ability to do physical labor.
- Strong commitment to teamwork.
- Willingness to shower daily in and out of facility.
- Ability to follow instructions and deal with standardized situations.
- Must be able to work an average of 40 hours a week or less.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.