Grain Elevator Laborer
Great pay. Great benefits. Great people.
Join our Smithfield Family and be a part of our more than 63,000 employees working across 32 U.S. states and eight countries. We offer great opportunities for growth and advancement, academic scholarships and one of the best safety records in the industry.
We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us. We offer plenty of opportunities in multiple locations. That means greater flexibility for you and your family to become part of helping us produce "Good food. Responsibly.®"
Our team members receive industry-leading wages and are eligible for great benefits packages:
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
- $3,000 WELCOME BONUS
*must meet program eligibility for payout
Learn about our great benefits and find the position that’s right for you at Smithfield.
Join our family today. Apply Now!
The Grain Elevator Laborer is trained to tend, operate and oversee all of the operator areas within the mill (i.e. receiving, batching, production floor, loadout, etc.) to assure compliance with established procedures relative to quality, productivity and safety by performing the following duties.
- Operate loading/unloading equipment to ship or receive grain products.
- Inspect grain facilities daily to ensure equipment maintains proper condition of stored grains.
- Help facility manager schedule logistics as they pertain to inbound and outbound grain.
- Maintain and handle inventories to maximize SFD profitability including grain movements, condition, blending of grain/grain products.
- Identify any problems or improvements and work with facility manager to find solutions.
- Deal proficiently with customers daily.
- Assist in implementing any specific work or safety programs set forth by SFD.
- Responsible for following all environmental laws and procedures to which Smithfield Foods and Smithfield Hog Production subscribes.
- Report all environmental issues immediately to supervisor.
- Read and understand the company’s emergency notification process and will be responsible for reviewing that policy at their work site.
- Report to work on all scheduled workdays.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or equivalent, required.
- Able to understand and comply with all safety policies and practices
- Verbal and written communication, interpersonal skills.
- Effective communication with grain customers.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Available to work extended weekday and weekend hours during grain harvest seasons.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to sit, stand, walk, climb up and down ladders.
- Able to work in areas of considerable height.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Routinely exposed to moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions.
- Must be able to tolerate cold, heat, grain dust, grain/mill odors, and noisy conditions.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 63,000 team members are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.