Driver (CDL) - Feed, Market, or Live Haul
The Market/Live/Feed Haul Driver safely drives haul truck with capacity of more than thirty tons, transporting animals to and from specified farm or plant destinations.
- Successfully completes a Road Test and be issued a certificate
- Properly prepares and evaluates equipment pre-trip and post-trip
- Works in single driver environment
- Handles shipping documents to ensure accuracy and timely submission
- Positions equipment properly to safely load and offload animals at farm or plant destination
- Drives day/night in variety of climates and traffic
- Maintains logs, DVIR, itinerary, and other paperwork as required
- Fuels up equipment and properly uses on-board computer (or turns in logs) daily
- Hooks up trailer to tractor, that includes backing under the trailer, raising landing gear and hooking up airlines
- Complies with all Bio-Security (BMS), Safety (IPS) and Environmental (EMS) management system’s rules and regulations
- Complies with DOT rules and regulations
- Complies with all Smithfield established policies and procedures
- Reports problems encountered on the farm or designated plant through the swine movement ticket or farm condition report.
- Reads and understands the Smithfield emergency notification process knowing how and who to contact in case of an emergency
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Meet DOT requirements
- At least 21 years of age
- No DUI/DWI or reckless driving convictions in last 10 years
- No DOT Recordable preventable accidents within the last three (3) years with a CMV
- No more than one (1) moving violation within the last three (3) years
- Meet minimum requirements to operate a CMV and have a current valid CDL issued from only one State
- Knowledge of FMCSR
- 1 year CDL experience desired or completion of 3rd Party Training
- Animal Handling experience preferred
- Complete all required information on the CDL Driver Application For Employment
- Be able to read and speak the English language
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Must be able to pass a DOT Physical upon initial hire
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Walk on slick surfaces such as fuel islands, loading chutes, loading and unloading area and truck washes.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 63,000 team members are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.