Plant Training Supervisor
Responsible for arranging training for individuals or groups within a framework of available programs. Advises employees and management on appropriate training courses. Makes arrangements for further education and monitors the progress of attendees. Maintain accurate training records, monitor costs, and budget control of all training activities.
- Train new and existing employees on job-specific topics and procedures. Includes, but not limited to: PSM, EMS, Food Safety, Safety Programs, Quality Assurance, Hog Handling, MSDS and Hazardous Materials.
- Assures that all new employees receive the necessary training to perform assigned jobs safely and according to job standards.
- Supervise training staff, schedule hours, vacations, monitor performance.
- Oversight of the new employee orientation training.
- Drives consistent training delivery by developing plant training resources with approved methods, skills and techniques.
- Utilize training platform to conduct training, track and report on training activity and maintain skills matrix
- Evaluate training programs and modifies as needed.
- Promotes continuous improvement and innovation of all training programs
- Write and revise training SOPs to accurately reflect current practices.
- Provide feedback to Production Supervisor for progress report to be communicated to employees.
- Assists other plant departments as needed and miscellaneous duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Ability to work various shifts and hours.
- Ability to travel to other facilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2 + years of related experience and/or training in a production environment required.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Capable of communicating and expressing ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and oral formats.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Excel, Word and Power Point software and ability to research the internet.
- Ability to train employees in the following job skills:
- Certified Pallet Jack and Forklift
- Lock Out/Tag Out (for machines and locks).
- Fire Safety/Extinguisher
- Animal Handling
- Chemical Training
- Environmental Training
- Specific Equipment Training based on Manufacturers Guidance
- Smithfield Policies and Practices
- Bi-lingual a plus.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, use hands to handle, or feel, and talk or hear.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds; occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Directly supervises Trainers in the Training (Production) department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.