This position is responsible for tending the pumps and other equipment used to decontaminate waste water (sewage). Operator is responsible for collecting samples; reading charts and flow meters and gauges to determine equipment malfunctions and performing minor repairs on equipment.
- Tends pumps, conveyors, blowers, chlorinators, vacuum filters and other equipment used to decontaminate waste water (sewage) by settling, aeration, and sludge digestion.
- Collects samples and makes process reports.
- Reads charts, flow meters and gauges to detect equipment malfunctions.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2+ years relevant experience and/or training, required.
- Class I Wastewater License (or able to acquire within 3 years of employment); and Class I Water License (or able to acquire within 2 years of employment).
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, verbal or diagram form.
- Knowledge Microsoft Office, including Excel and Word.
- Must be able to travel occasionally with possible extended overnight stays.
- Must be available for night and weekend on-call status.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include include outdoor weather conditions, wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk; use hands to handle, or feel, and talk or hear; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.