Food Safety & QA Supervisor
As part of our FS/QA team, you would conduct routine sanitation checks, ensuring that HAACP and USDA regulations are strictly enforced. Providing technical expertise to track product from start to finish, and develop corrective actions when needed. You will be responsible for ensuring that we are able to safely deliver the best Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, or any of our product brands to customers and consumers.
Position is responsible for overseeing the food safety and quality programs in specific production departments within the plant. This role has the overall accountability of ensuring the applicable food safety and quality programs are fully implemented and documented to ensure USDA regulatory compliance and the production of safe and wholesome products. Masters and applies all QA/FS policies and procedures in daily interactions with plant production and quality employees. Is accountable for the plant’s Food Safety and Quality System within specific production departments and must provide solid leadership, training and improvement strategies to achieve company, plant, and department goals. May assume FS/QA Manager duties when needed.
Quality, Food Safety and SQF Verification and Compliance
- Within specific departments verifies that all Food Safety, Quality Assurance, SQF and Regulatory programs are functioning as designed, being followed and correctly documented – thus ensuring the facility has the “evidence” required to prove the products being produced are safe, wholesome and meet Smithfield (and/or customer) quality specifications.
- Able to quickly and thoroughly investigate a product/process failure, determine the root cause and take prompt corrective actions; while minimizing product exposure and production down time.
- For assigned departments must demonstrate ownership and practical knowledge of all applicable QA and Food Safety programs and applies them throughout daily responsibilities to make sound decisions and execute food safety & quality oversight.
- Develops and fosters a strong working, no-nonsense relationship with plant management, production employees and the USDA.
Food Safety and Quality Improvement
- Prevents HACCP, SSOP, process and product quality specification failures by working with FS-QA staff members and Operations to drive continuous improvement of product through attention to process details, product specifications and production department programs.
- Required to serve and actively participate on special company and plant committees and task forces; such as the Health and Safety Committee.
- Required to conduct operational and pre-operational sanitation inspections, including micro sampling, inspection of cleanliness of equipment to verify the effectiveness of sanitation activities. The duties may include regular completion of Food Safety, CCP and sanitation paperwork that should ultimately result in no FS deviations. Conducts FMP and Sanitation audits as directed with documented corrective actions and follow-up, as necessary.
- Investigates and takes action in response to negative micro and Shelf Life data to drive improvement.
- Assists in creation and maintenance of SQF Plan.
- Completes reassessments of SQF Plan if:
- Addition or removal of processing steps.
- Introduction of new product with processing steps not in currently included
- At a minimum SQF Plan is reassessed annually.
- Takes appropriate action to maintain the integrity of the SQF System.
- Communicates to relevant personnel all information essential to ensure the effective implementation and maintenance of the SQF System.
- Responsible for managing the work assignments and the training of specific food safety and quality assurance staff members.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 2+ years’ experience in food safety or quality assurance; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of meat processing, preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of USDA, HACCP, and SSOP requirements.
- HACCP Certified, preferred.
- SQF Certified Expert, preferred.
- Ability to uphold regulatory, company and customer standards.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers.
- Knowledge of Database software; Inventory software; Manufacturing software; Spreadsheet and Word Processing software; QMS system and SAP; preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with demonstrated multi-tasking and project management skills.
- Must have the ability to complete required applicable forms in English, which requires the ability to read and write in English.
- Must be able to travel up to 20% of the time.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Provides leadership and guidance to a specific, but limited group of employees within the Food Safety and Quality Assurance Department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.