Production Manager Trainee 1 - HPD
The Production Manager Trainee is responsible for learning, demonstrating knowledge and skills, and becoming certified in all aspects of company systems and the pork industry standards. This position functions under the supervision of the appropriate department leader while performing all duties and responsibilities as a learning/development process.
- Learns, demonstrates capability/knowledge and becomes certified in all farm department areas including fulfilling all the requirements and responsibilities listed under the Breeding/Farrowing and Nursery/Finishing job description.
- Gains a solid understanding of and ability to implement company systems such as pig production processes, animal flow, farm health, genetics, husbandry, etc.
- Performs and masters all hourly jobs under supervision. Becomes certified in each job after showing competence and skill/understanding in each.
- Develops and prepares required reports on experiences encountered and addresses/shares opportunities for improvement.
- Responsible for complying with all environmental laws and procedures to which Smithfield LLC subscribes.
- Responsible for completion of Leadership Certification
- Incumbent will be responsible for understanding and complying with company IPS, biosecurity, animal welfare, and EMS policies and procedures in the performance of their job duties.
- Reports all environmental, animal care, and biosecurity issues immediately to their supervisor.
- Performs the responsibilities as the acting HOD as needed by management
- Be on call to work in emergency situations such as alarm calls, inclement weather, power outages, personnel shortages, and environmental emergencies.
- Responsible for progression in the Manager Training development program. Reports any issue that interferes with completion of development program to Human Resources.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- 4-year college degree in Animal Science or related Agricultural field of study, or equivalent supervisory experience and/or previous swine experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to work an average 48 hour week, which can vary frequently.
- Weekend, evening, and holiday work required as needed.
- Must shower in and out of farm facilities daily
- Ability to lead others
- Ability and willingness to relocate to complete training and assume first managerial assignment
- Must be computer literate and proficient in Microsoft software
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Must be supportive of the mission of raising swine for human consumption of high quality pork products.
- Must be able to tolerate and willing to learn and perform the following tasks: euthanasia, castration, vaccinations, piglet processing, ear tagging for identification, taking blood samples and other procedures normal to animal husbandry.
- Must be able to operate a high pressure washing system.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust, odors, and frequently noisy conditions.
When basic technical certification is complete, will provide leadership and guidance to personnel within a department with Manager oversight
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.