2nd -Production and Packaging Machine Operator
A great job and a great future await you at Smithfield Foods. As the world’s largest pork processor and largest hog producer in the United States, we’re a $16 billion global food company with more than 55,000 employees. We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us.
Current opportunities include positions in General Production, Maintenance Mechanics, Quality Assurance and Food Safety.
Our team members receive industry-leading wages and are eligible for great benefits packages:
- General Production $18.55/hr Starting Pay
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
In addition, we offer opportunities for career growth, professional development, and tuition assistance.
- Set up and operate various production equipment.
- Use computer controls to adjust programs, settings and parameters.
- Trouble shoot problems effectively to prevent downtime.
- Effectively communicate with Processing Supervisor, Blender Operator, Rework Handler, Trainer and line personnel to maximize efficiency and minimize down time.
- Help prepare and conduct effective product changeovers.
- Be able to perform minor mechanical adjustments.
- Be able to use various tools (screwdriver, hammer, wrench, pliers, etc…)
- Take apart production equipment at end of run for sanitation crew.
- Follow our color code system in regards to food safety.
- Other typical processing duties.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
- Change or clean grind plates at breaks and lunch.
- Read scale in order to maintain proper weight per specification.
- Other duties as directed by Supervisor.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to operate equipment safely and efficiently.
- Willingness to add to knowledge base and skillset.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends as department and plant operations demand.
- Experience in the food industry, preferred.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.