Career Foundation Program (CFP) - Industrial Engineering
As a Career Foundation Program (CFP) Associate, you are sponsored and supported by our Organization’s Senior Leaders along with an assigned mentor and program manager to partner with as you launch your career. This 18 – 24-month training program will develop you into the future leaders of our company. The program is designed for top talent who seek a performance-based culture that is built on Responsibility, Operational Excellence and Innovation (ROI).
During your 18 – 24-months you will learn from Smithfield Foods leaders, hear from industry experts, and roll up your sleeves to experience the many functional areas of the company. You will engage in challenging and dynamic experiences throughout various Smithfield Foods business areas, locations, and functional groups broken down by Track including:
- Industrial Engineering
You will be expected to provide business support and thought-leadership to the company throughout the program and beyond. As a CFP Associate you will add value as a full-time employee from day one, doing real work, and delivering real results.
At the conclusion of 24 months, you will be placed into a role where you can add immediate value based on your track assignment and Smithfield Foods business needs. Your career journey from that point forward is completely in your hands. You are not limited to a set path.
The Career Foundation Program is divided into function-specific tracks from which you can launch your career journey at Smithfield Foods. These tracks are designed to guide placement following the program.
- Industrial Engineering Track – including rotations through all functions of Industrial Engineering in both Fresh and Packaged plants
The CFP Associate contributes to the department’s achievement of goals by problem solving, leading projects, executing short-term and long-term responsibilities, and delivering results that exceed expectations. The Career Foundation Program is designed for high potential college/university graduates who can quickly adapt to new environments and deliver contributions to the departments for which they are assigned. In a fast past-paced, results-oriented environment, the successful incumbent will complete the program and be ready for assignments commensurate with their Smithfield CFP work experience (18-24 months of relevant work experience).
Industrial Engineering Track – As an Industrial Engineering CFP Associate you will experience the key fundamentals of the business through rotations in Industrial Engineering in a Fresh and Packaged facility. During your rotations you will gain exposure to time studies, standard crewing, head-count repurposing, standard labor yields, etc. CFP Associates work with our partners in key customers to gain the knowledge and expertise needed for a smooth transition into a permanent role.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Utilize business analytics and industrial engineering tools to study functional statements, organization charts, and project information to determine functions and responsibilities of workers and work units and to identify areas of duplication.
- Establishes work measurement programs and analyzes work samples to develop standards for labor utilization.
- Analyzes work force utilization, facility layout, and operational data such as production costs, process flow charts, and production schedules, to determine efficient utilization of workers and equipment.
- Reviews methods for improving worker efficiency and reducing waste of materials and utilities such as restructuring job duties, reorganization of workflow, relocating workstations and equipment, and purchase of equipment.
- Implements methods of improvement based on leading edge technologies and industrial engineering principles to improve operating performance and reduce waste, delays and costs.
- Monitors installation and ensures proposal specifications and budget are met.
- Maintains management systems for cost analysis, financial planning, wage and salary administration, and job evaluation.
- Ensures effective productivity and production measurements are established for identified processes in the plant. Monitors system and expands it as necessary.
- Analyzes, recommends, and implements enhancements to existing work methods, flows and processes to improve current capabilities.
- Communicates with management on all changes in work standards.
- Develops Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for methods and processes.
- Manages multiple projects ensuring on-time completion according to schedule and within budget guidelines.
- Researches technology advancements and systems to develop cost effective improvements to operating methods and procedures.
- Coach, develop, and train plant employees on utilizing Smithfield's Management Operating System, and how to utilize data to improve their plants and functional areas
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college/university.
- Be able to relocate one to two times during rotation.
- Must possess a high level of professionalism, discretion and ability to self-manage his/her time from remote locations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Travel up to 15-25% of time. Periodic overnight travel required.
- Currently authorized to work in the U.S.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office, facility and laboratory environment to include lifting, stretching, bending, reaching, walking, climbing, travel by car and aircraft.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, use hands to handle, or feel, and talk or hear.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.