The LNM Technician provides crop management and nutrient application to farmland areas in an environmentally sound and sustainable fashion. Ensures all outdoor activities are completed to satisfy Smithfield Hog Production Division’s commitment to farm appearance and stewardship policies.
- General maintenance which may include crawling under equipment or lying on the ground
- Weed eating, spraying, side mowing, bush hogging, discing fields
- Record keeping
- Moving reels, pivots, linear, pumps, or other equipment
- Driving tractor/mowers
- Comply with all Safety (IPS), Bio-Security (BMS) and Environmental (EMS) management system’s rules and regulations
- Daily rainfall readings, inspections
- Facilitate spill recoveries with a trash pump
- Winterize equipment
- AerWaying, setting up pump and suction, and pumping/transferring water or effluent
- Achieve certification with state as spray applicator within one (1) year of hire date
- Must be on call to work in emergency situations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma or GED preferred.
- Ability to read and speak the English language
- Previous experience with farm machinery or heavy equipment
- Ability to work alone.
- Ability to follow instructions and deal with standardized situations.
- Must be able to work an average 48 hour week, which can vary frequently.
- Must have valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- Weekend, evening, and holiday work required as needed.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The farm environment will include wet or humid conditions (weather related), cold and heat (weather and non-weather-related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.