OPEN INTERVIEWS DAILY!
MONDAY - FRIDAY from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Join our Smithfield Family and be a part of our more than 63,000 employees working across 32 U.S. states and eight countries. We offer great opportunities for growth and advancement, academic scholarships and one of the best safety records in the industry.
We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us. We offer plenty of opportunities in multiple locations. That means greater flexibility for you and your family to become part of helping us produce "Good food. Responsibly.®"
Our team members receive industry-leading wages and are eligible for great benefits packages:
- Maintenance Mechanic Competitive Starting Pay at $21.80/ Hour and up to $31.70/ Hour
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
- Looking to move to the area? $2,500 Relocation Packages are available (eligibilities apply)
In addition, we offer opportunites for career growth, professional development, and tuition assistance.
Upon successful completion your first 90-days of employment with us, you’ll be eligible to select either a:
- $175.00 gift card to Best Buy or Apple
- $150.00 gift card to Walmart or Amazon
Join our family today. Apply Now!
The Maintenance Mechanic has responsibilities to maintain, troubleshoot and repair a variety of electrical and mechanical equipment in a food processing environment. This position requires proficiency in multiple skill clusters, such as electrical controls, fluid power, mechanical systems, welding, fabrication and manufacturing processes. This person will perform medium to high-level machine systems troubleshooting and repair, and provide technical support for all phases of the operation. This work will be of average to considerable difficulty in the accomplishment of a variety of mechanical maintenance actions.
- Receives work order/request, reviews to determine tool, equipment, time, man-power, parts and supplies requirements, and schedules its accomplishment.
- When responding to crisis calls will always arrive at the scene with basic tools and equipment necessary to perform work.
- Read blueprints, schematics (including electrical), wiring diagrams, technical manuals, etc.
- Maintains various activity records and logs.
- Observe equipment or machinery while in operation to detect malfunctions.
- Disassemble mechanical equipment, identify faulty/worn parts, replace, reassemble, and test.
- Test major subsystems or components to localize problem using specialized equipment.
- Fabricate replacement parts which may require welding, cutting, or sheet metal work.
- Perform preventive maintenance on various mechanical systems and equipment. Install new equipment/appliances including running any electrical, water, gas, or drain lines required.
- Responsibilities include installing, trouble shooting, and maintaining, mechanical equipment, piping systems, electrical controls/components in accordance with manufacturer’s specification, local regulations and Smithfield safety policies.
- Performs preventive and predictive maintenance schedules on mechanical equipment such as pumps, motors, compressors, exhaust fans, blowers and electrical controls.
- Working knowledge and skills in operating a variety of small hand tools and devices used in general mechanical maintenance operations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 1+ years of related experience and/or training in an industrial mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing environment; or 4 years’ direct experience in an industrial mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing maintenance environment.
- Vocational Diploma, Technical Diploma or Associate's Degree from a technical maintenance or vocational school, a plus.
- Associate's Degree from a technical maintenance or vocational school, a plus.
- Possess the ability to function effectively in a team environment and interact productively with all levels of team personnel and outside contractors.
- Ability to operate a forklift, genie lift or scissor lift.
- Can understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read, write the following; work orders, instructions, daily reports and machine manuals.
- Ability to receive and relate orders/information using various communication devices.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Ability to perform a task requiring continuous/repetitive movement, including grasping, pinching hands, flexing and extending arms
- Ability to stand on concrete and/or platforms for up to a 12 hour shift
- Ability to work around animal blood and/or body parts
- Ability to work with a knife (if trained)
- Ability to work while wearing a hard hat, hearing/eye protection, and steel-toed safety shoes
- Ability to work with sanitation/cleaning chemicals
- Ability to climb, move on ladders, steps, stairways, walkways, and platforms
- Can bend, stoop, and twist repetitively throughout your entire shift
- Can walk long distances
- Ability to operate powered industrial trucks,including; scissor lifts, pallet jacks, ect.
- Ability to work with a variety of chemicals, solvents, and understand/abide by the corresponding material safety data sheet, MSDS
- Willing to pass physical to wear respirators or self-contained breathing apparatus
- Stand and/or work on the following; moving platforms and elevated platforms
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.