Dispatcher - Day Shift
The Dispatcher is responsible for the effective management and coordination of a fleet of drivers and vehicles. This position is responsible for the routing and preparation of schedules, as well as dispatching of activities for trucks and drivers.
- Monitors drivers on duty and coordinates trucks for efficient pickup and delivery.
- Schedule loads according to priority and available equipment.
- Monitors and schedules company and contract loading crews.
- Works with garage on prioritizing repairs.
- Maintains excellent communication between all departments.
- Receives incoming calls from farms & drivers. Handles issues accordingly.
- Logs all issues that pertain to transportation and production.
- Maintains dept. records such as DVIR’s, On-time tracking and Departure schedules
- Monitors Samsura for on-time tracking and departure.
- Works closely with transportation supervisor to dispatch and assign loads.
- Responsible for complying with all policies and procedures which Smithfield Hog Production subscribes (to include environmental and safety policies).
- Assists with special projects as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Associate’s Degree from a regionally accredited two-year college and 2+ years’ of experience in Transportation, Logistics, or Customer Service; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Ability to work well in a team-based environment with limited supervision.
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Software.
- Previous dispatch experience is preferred.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule. Day, night and weekend work required.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and achieve effective time management.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 63,000 team members are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.