Head of Department, Sow Farm - HPD
The Sow Farm HOD directs the daily operation of the farm breeding or farrowing department. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, scheduling and assigning tasks to meet production goals, staff development/training, animal and human health and welfare. The HOD knows and performs all department functions/tasks personally and through subordinates. The Head of Department position will also provide for the care of all animals at the designated work site, particularly their health, growth, and breeding.
- Abides by all company policies, procedures and guidelines as directed by farm leadership.
- Ensures the day-to-day activities and processes are scheduled/performed according to standard procedures/policies in company technical manuals and relevant company documentation.
- Trains and monitors subordinate performance and provides appropriate coaching.
- Maintains equipment and the environment in all section barns, at all times. Identifies all inconsistencies and immediately rectifies them.
- Manages, monitors and controls feed inventory at all times to satisfy animal requirements and to minimize waste. Manages day-to-day inventory procedures for the section and practices standard inventory control initiatives.
- Maintains accurate production information and update all department records as required.
- Treats sick animals with a variety of pharmaceuticals by injection, oral application, and/or other methods as required.
- Follows the Standard Operating Procedures, Production Manuals, or Appropriate Training Guides as required.
- Follows the Company’s animal welfare policies and procedures including: providing a physical environment that meets the animal’s needs, providing access to adequate water and high quality feed, providing humane treatment of the animals, providing identification and appropriate treatment of animals in need of health care and following the guidelines for euthanasia to include proper disposal of animals.
- Responsible for complying with all environmental laws and procedures and report any issues immediately to the supervisor.
- Responsible for understanding all safety requirements of the job and ensuring their employee’s compliance
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma or GED preferred.
- Previous livestock handling experience required
- Ability to obtain certification in department
- Ability to do hard physical labor.
- Strong commitment to teamwork.
- Willingness to shower daily in and out of facility
- Ability to follow instructions and deal with standardized situations.
- Must be able to work an average 48 hour week, which can vary frequently.
- Weekend, evening, and holiday work required as needed.
- Must be on call to work in emergency situations to include but not limited to, power outages or personnel shortages.
- Must be able to tolerate and willing to learn and perform the following tasks: euthanasia, castration, vaccinations, piglet processing, ear tagging for identification, taking blood samples and other procedures normal to animal husbandry.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust, odors, and frequently noisy conditions.
Provides leadership and guidance to personnel within their department with Manager oversight
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.