Maintenance Technician 2nd Shift
Must have basic knowledge of General Maintenance, Hydraulic Systems, Electrical and Electronic Systems, and Welding (TIG, MIG). Mechanic must be able to work as a team or individually. Must comply with all Company SAFETY rules (LOCKOUT/TAGOUT, ETC) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s).
- Ensure all assigned daily PM’s are completed.
- Ensure production lines are in good mechanical order.
- Aid other teams (Production, Quality- when needed).
- Always follow Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s) and Safety Practices.
- Setup and visually inspect and tests machinery and equipment
- Listens for unusual sounds from machines or equipment to detect malfunction and discusses machine operation variations with supervisors or other personnel to diagnose problem or repair machine.
- Dismantles defective machines and equipment and installs new or repaired parts.
- Cleans and lubricates shafts, bearings gears, and other parts of machinery.
- Repairs and maintains physical structure of establishment.
- Follow all ISO 14001 procedures
- Other duties as needed.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 1+ years of related experience and/or training in an industrial mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing environment; or 4 years’ direct experience in an industrial mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing maintenance environment.
- Vocational Diploma, Technical Diploma or associate degree from a technical maintenance or vocational school. (Preferred)
- Possess the ability to function effectively in a team environment and interact productively with all levels of team personnel and outside contractors.
- Ability to operate a forklift, genie lift or scissor lift or other powered industrial trucks (PIT).
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and execute work order, write daily reports, and translate equipment manuals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Ability to perform a task requiring continuous/repetitive movement, including grasping, pinching hands, flexing and extending arms
- Ability to stand on concrete and/or platforms for up to a 12-hour shift
- Ability to work around animal blood and/or body parts
- Ability to work with a knife (if trained)
- Ability to work while wearing a hard hat, hearing/eye protection, and steel-toed safety shoes
- Ability to work with sanitation/cleaning chemicals
- Ability to climb, move on ladders, steps, stairways, walkways, and platforms
- Can bend, stoop, and twist repetitively throughout your entire shift
- Can walk long distances
- Ability to operate powered industrial trucks, including scissor lifts, pallet jacks, etc.
- Ability to work with a variety of chemicals, solvents, and understand/abide by the corresponding safety data sheet, SDS
- Stand and/or work on the following; moving platforms and elevated platforms
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.