Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. team members and 15,000 European employees are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies . We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us.
Current opportunities include positions in General Production, Maintenance Mechanics, Quality Assurance and Food Safety.
Our team members receive industry-leading wages and are eligible for great benefits packages:
- Material Handler $21.00 plus $1.00/hr Shift Differential
- Night Shift Hours: 7PM - 5:30AM, Four days per week. No weekends.
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
In addition, we offer opportunities for career growth, professional development, and tuition assistance.
Upon successful completion your first 90-days of employment with us, you’ll be eligible to select either a:
- $175.00 gift card to Best Buy or Apple
- $150.00 gift card to Walmart or Amazon
The Material Handler will use material handling equipment and the warehouse management system to build pallets of product for shipment, receive product into the warehouse, put away product in the fill locations and replenish product into slots.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Compiles a list of items to be counted. Completes physical inventories, cycle counts, random or receipt audits, and reconciliations on a daily, monthly or quarterly basis.
- Resolves inventory issues in a timely manner. Researches inventory discrepancies, including variances in usage and cost. Analyses whether the variances are acceptable or whether they need to be investigated further and corrected.
- Performs inventory computer transactions in the appropriate business software.
- Utilizes order pickers and other P.I.T. equipment in the execution of counting locations.
- Utilizes RF guns to execute counting and investigate inventory variances and inventory reconciliation.
- Adheres to all safety procedures / standards within the course of performing job tasks.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma or general education degree (GED) or equivalent is required.
- 1+ years of work experience in a distribution center environment is highly preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) applications. Familiarity with warehouse management systems is preferred.
- Previous experience in cycle counting highly desired.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
- Ability to accurately count product and convert counts into bottles or cases.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Frequently required to sit; stand; walk; reach with hands and arms.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.