Farm Maintenance Technician
The Farm Maintenance Technician maintains and repairs physical structures of company buildings in accordance with company policies and procedures by performing the following duties.
- Perform preventative maintenance on farm equipment.
- Correctly identify and write down parts needed to build/complete projects to update and maintain the equipment and facility.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and repair, potable water, and ventilation systems and their components throughout the facility.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and repair farm equipment, hydraulic, pneumatic, and electrical systems, piping systems, and general facility.
- Perform general mechanical work including installation, fabrication, and repair.
- Ensure work is done in accordance with all farm policies and procedures.
- Follow all guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures for the facility.
- Follow all safety rules and policies.
- Wear proper safety equipment as required, including but not limited to wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment, etc.
- Receive written work orders or verbal instructions from the supervisor.
- Maintain and repair buildings’ plumbing and electrical systems, including replacing worn or defective parts such as switches or fuses.
- Maintain a parts inventory.
- Repair or replace building brick, stone, and concrete.
- Maintain and repair wood parts of buildings.
- Assist other departments with moving furniture, supplies and machinery.
- Understand and effectively follow all Company policies, Company procedures, and laws on restricted items.
- Occasional weekend and on call duties as required by the needs of the operation and the supervisor.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma or GED, required.
- Associate degree in Industrial Maintenance, Electrical or related field preferred.
- 1-2 years mechanical/maintenance experience, required.
- Possess good mechanical skills, including repair of gearboxes, bearings, etc.
- Knowledge of AC/DC controls and power electricity
- Knowledge of Hydraulic, Pneumatic, and Piping Systems.
- Experience in Fabrication and welding.
- Ability to sketch, read, and understand technical drawings and layouts.
- Basic mechanical, electrical and plumbing skills are required.
- Basic computer skills
- Customer service skills
- Must have a current Driver’s License.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, grip, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; stoop; kneel; crouch; crawl; sit; climb; or balance.
- The employee will regularly work at elevated heights and in confined spaces.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to seventy-five pounds or more and regularly lift and/or move up to fifty pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 63,000 team members are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.